Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Schedules mold changes and assembly cell changes in a proper manner to meet inventory needs, control costs and protect molds by ensuring that set-ups are performed properly.
- Maintains part quality to established specifications.
- Ensures department is clean and safe with all safety devices in proper working order.
- Schedules machine repairs with Maintenance to minimize downtime and maintain at least 85% capacity utilization.
- Interprets company policies to employees and enforces safety regulations.
- Interprets specifications, blueprints and job orders to subordinate supervisors.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules.
- Recommends measures to improve production methods, equipment performance and quality of product.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of department.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems, or assists supervisors in solving work problems.
- Initiates or suggests plans to motivate supervisors to achieve work goals.
- Maintains time and production records.
- Confers with other supervisors to coordinate activities of individual departments.
- Troubleshoots process problems and determines the difference between process problems and maintenance problems.
- Maintains records on molds and machines.
- Resolves all problems that molding supervisors cannot.
- Coordinates communication and activities between three shifts.
- Protects molds and equipment from damage.
- Controls resin loss.
- Assures proper training for new employees in machine procedure, safety devices on individual machines and quality.
- Meets with outside molding vendors if problems arise during set-up or running of mold.
- Maintains daily production reports, productivity reports and monthly efficiency reports.
- Operate department using Lean Manufacturing methodology (Kanban, 5s and continuous improvement).
- Serves as team leader for the scrap reduction team and the sigma score team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Manages 3 subordinate supervisors directly and approximately 80 employees indirectly.
Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these shifts. Also directly supervises one other exempt position – molding technician. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.